This heavenly tart from Bistro Chico features the holy trinity of ingredients: chocolate, caramel and coffee.
dark chocolate, caramel and hazelnut tart with frangelico coffee syrup and crème fraiche
300g Carème traditional vanilla bean sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1. Roll out pastry onto a floured surface and line an 11x34cm tart tin with a removable base.
- 2. Cover with baking paper, fill with dried beans and bake at 180°C for 10 minutes,
- 3. Remove paper and bake for another 10 minutes until dry and golden; set aside to cool.
100g dark muscovado sugar 1/3 cup double cream
50g unsalted butter
150g hazelnuts (roasted, peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 1. Place all ingredients except hazelnuts into a heavy based saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- 2. Reduce heat, simmer for 8 minutes, then remove from heat and cool.
- 3. Add hazelnuts to caramel and combine; then spread over cooled pastry shell.
200g callebaut dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
200ml double cream
- 1.Place chocolate and cream in a saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth.
- 2. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- 3. Spread chocolate mix over caramel, smooth with a spatula and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
Coffee and Frangelico syrup
100ml espresso coffee
30ml Frangelico liqueur
50g castor sugar
- 1.Place coffee, Frangelico and sugar into a heavy based saucepan and bring to the boil.
- 2. Simmer and reduce until liquid achieves a sticky effect.
1. Slice tart with a warm knife, drizzle with syrup and finish with a spoonful of crème fraîche.